Looking back on 2014 is more challenging than on 2013 (did not see that one coming). But maybe that’s a good thing. We’re settling into our life together and finding comfort in our routines. Of course, there were some highlights. We also did a pretty good job of keeping up with our goal of being my physically active/fit.
Most importantly: Jimmy turned 30! We celebrated in a very “Jimmy way” starting with Jimmy and the guys going shooting. Then meeting up with some friends & family for lunch (and lots of beers) at Blackfin in Merrifield. Followed by a brief break and then heading to dinner at Ray’s the Steaks with the rest of the Racines. It was great.
Jimmy also discovered a new love for skeet shooting. He joined a shooting league through work and has really enjoyed learning this new skill.
Speaking of work, Jimmy got a promotion and is now the Geotechnical Department Manager at a new National Harbor office.
Jimmy also played in a lacrosse league this year. That is until a knee injury took him out of the game.
In 2014, I registered for my 1st half marathon and trained my butt off for that. And then injured my ankle so I couldn’t run in the race. But, I am already signed up for another one (it’s in a few weeks) so I’m going to complete this goal. Towards the end of the year, I got a new job that I’m enjoying a lot. I took a couple trips to Blacksburg.
We (Ingrid & Jimmy)
- Went to Richmond for our first NASCAR race
- Went to Boston to visit friends and family
- Ran in our 2nd 5K together
- Took two beach trips to SC
- Attended our 5th Vintage Virginia Wine Festival
- Were in our good friends Ted & Lauren’s wedding
Looking ahead to 2015.
I am copying and pasting from my 2014 post because, well, we very much failed on accomplishing any of our goals. Whoops. I’ll write a little commentary on if we completed anything or not.
From 2014 post:
“This is also a challenge because you never really know where life is going to go, but I do see some things happening.
We have some house projects we want to complete:” (reflections on my 2014 list)
- Fixing our side steps. The concrete’s been struggling since I was around 12 so we’re going to just replace it with a pressure treated wood step/landing/storage thing – this is clearly more Jimmy & my Dad’s plan – didn’t do this. Need to complete this year.
- Finishing painting. In 2012/2013 we painted the living room, dining room, master bedroom, kitchen, guest bedrooms (2) & Jimmy’s video game room. In
20142015 we have the entryway, stairway, hallway, 3 bathrooms & basement and we’re done [whew] – again, didn’t do any of this.
- Landscaping. There are plans for the backyard. I am vaguely aware of them. I have stated Sugar’s stones stay. That’s all I care about. – nope, not done. Actually not even started…
- Building a slate patio in the backyard. – didn’t even start this either
- Organization. As much as I hate to admit, I still have a couple of boxes of my things that don’t have a place in our home yet. I want to get everything organized and condensed as much as possible this year. – those boxes are still there. Things are a little better organized – our pantry and linen closet definitely – but still a ways to go on everything else.
New projects & goals: (let’s be ambitious and add to the list we didn’t accomplish last year, that’s totally the way to do this life planning thing, right?)
- Helping restore/renovate Hotel California (new property addition to the Freemyer family – posts to come)
- Renovating our two bathrooms
- I: Run in my first half marathon
We have some trips we want to take: (reflecting on my 2014 list)
- Boston to visit Ted & Lauren and Jimmy’s family – we did this! A for I&J
- Penthouse to enjoy the beach – we did this! twice! A+ for I&J
- Cottage – not really a trip trip but we want to go here more this summer. Kai just loves it here and so do we. – eh, not really, maybe one or two trips, so D?
- Germany or Hawaii – clearly the details aren’t worked out on this one – this one did not happen
- St. Louis to be in Ted & Lauren’s wedding – we did this! A for I&J
Trips for 2015:
- Penthouse to enjoy the beach
- Hotel California to enjoy boating
- Colorado to visit Todd
- Blacksburg for a Tech game – scheduled for October
Well, considering how successful we were in 2014, I’m going to leave our projects, goals, and trips at that and see how we do.