Looking back on 2013 in the Racine household is challenging. Probably because 2012 was such a big year for us. We got married, bought a house, lived in the same house for the first time, went on our honeymoon, Jimmy passed his Professional Engineer exam (HUGE deal), Kurt & Kate got engaged, lots of big moments. However, 2013 had its own highlights.
Jimmy started the year playing inner tube water polo. Jimmy was selected to the Future Leaders program for his company, which meant he attended seminars once a month on being a manager and company leader. Jimmy got a new car [finally]. He got a Subaru Forrester and we couldn’t love it more. We went to Jimmy’s 10 year high school reunion, which was fun to meet his old friends and show off a bit 🙂 Most recently, Jimmy has taken up hunting. Duck & goose hunting specifically. He’s been twice and really enjoys being outside with this new sport.
I traveled to Clemson, SC to see Kurt & Kate graduate. So bittersweet seeing them grow up, tear. The real big change in my life in 2013 was starting to coach high school cheerleading. This has been a big commitment but an extremely memorable one. It’s so great being able to teach these girls, help them through high school, and share my love for the sport. It’s ended up being 2-4 days a week so that’s what I did in 2013 ha.
We (Jimmy & Ingrid):
- In March we went to my childhood friend Sarah Cooper’s wedding in St. Johns. We were so thankful she chose this destination for our wedding because we got to go back to our honeymoon spot, amazing.
- We played spring & summer flag football with our team of 4 years.
- We went to the Gold Cup horse race for the first time.
- We went to Vintage Virginia wine festival for the 4th year (possibly 5th, I’m losing track here).
- We were lucky enough to go to a couple Nats games in sweet club level seats thanks to my work.
- We went to the Eagles concert with my parents, Kurt & Kate at the Verizon Center.
- We went on a wonderful vacation to the Penthouse in SC with our great friends Ted & Lauren. And then we had to say goodbye to them because they moved to Boston 🙁
- We went to three weddings.
- We hosted a Kentucky Derby themed couples shower for K&K.
- We had our first anniversary.
- We were in Kurt & Kate’s wedding – post to come once I get my camera back.
- We ended out the year celebrating Christmas with both families, heading to Disneyland for the first ever Racine family trip, and then New Years.
Looking ahead to 2014.
This is also a challenge because you never really know where life is going to go but I do see some things happening.
We have some house projects we want to complete:
- Fixing our side steps. The concrete’s been struggling since I was around 12 so we’re going to just replace it with a pressure treated wood step/landing/storage thing – this is clearly more Jimmy & my Dad’s plan
- Finishing painting. In 2012/2013 we painted the living room, dining room, master bedroom, kitchen, guest bedrooms (2) & Jimmy’s video game room. In 2014 we have the entryway, stairway, hallway, 3 bathrooms & basement and we’re done [whew]
- Landscaping. There are plans for the backyard. I am vaguely aware of them. I have stated Sugar’s stones stay. That’s all I care about.
- Building a slate patio in the backyard.
- Organization. As much as I hate to admit, I still have a couple of boxes of my things that don’t have a place in our home yet. I want to get everything organized and condensed as much as possible this year.
We have some trips we want to take:
- Boston to visit Ted & Lauren and Jimmy’s family
- Penthouse to enjoy the beach
- Cottage – not really a trip trip but we want to go here more this summer. Kai just loves it here and so do we.
- Germany or Hawaii – clearly the details aren’t worked out on this one
- St. Louis to be in Ted & Lauren’s wedding
Other than that, I just hope for health and happiness for my family and friends. And let’s see what 2014 brings us all.